“Honestly, it was just something you had to know, a part of culture,” he said. Omar Sy is a French actor, best known for his roles in 'The Intouchables', 'X-Men: Days of Future Past', 'Jurassic World' and 'Demain tout commence.' “I found the idea of a 6-foot-2 Black man sneaking around in both high society and the underworld interesting.”, Kay jumped on the opportunity to slip in statements without being heavy-handed. As a teenager, Assane’s life was completely upended when his father died after being accused of … “We wanted to see Omar in all his humanity and his experience with the myth, rather than call him Arsène Lupin and do something that had already been done.”, When we meet Sy’s Assane, he is obsessed with avenging his widower father (Fargass Assandé), who died 25 years earlier. It translates to “in Arsène’s shadow.”. ... Posted to: lupin, Netflix, Omar Sy. Success is an appealing factor, too. “He doesn’t need much to disguise himself: He joins the type of people who don’t get noticed, and he disappears.”. Find out the cool thing that Lupin has already achieved following its release on Netflix. Now, Netflix is adding to that robust legacy with an all-new live-action series starring Omar Sy. 25 years later, Assane will use the classic novel “Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar” as his inspiration to avenge his father. January 25, 2021 by Corinne Sullivan. When Assane sets out to swipe a heavily guarded necklace at the Louvre, for example, he alternates between going undercover as a janitor and passing as a rich art-lover attending an auction. New Superman Movie Coming from Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates --... New York Gravedigger Dies Accidentally Burying Himself Alive. In the series, Sy is cast as Assane Diop, a professional thief. “If I were British, I would have said James Bond, but since I’m French, I said Lupin,” Sy said in a recent video call, in French, from his Los Angeles home. Indeed, Assane is very aware of how traditional French society perceives him, and he often uses those prejudices to hoodwink his victims. The elder Diop, who worked hard to give his son the tools he needed to succeed in French society (starting with the importance of correct spelling), committed suicide in jail after being accused of theft, leaving young Assane an orphan. The French filmmaker Louis Leterrier (“The Transporter,” “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance”), who directed the first three episodes of “Lupin,” was an early member of the creative team, from before the idea was brought to Netflix. A splashy 2004 film starred Romain Duris. So, what does “dans l’ombre d’Arsène” mean in English? “The idea of inheritance moves me — what do we retain and what do we pass on?” he said “For me that’s the true meaning of life, what makes us human.”, In ‘Lupin,’ Omar Sy Puts a New Twist on a Classic French Tale, “If I were British, I would have said James Bond,” said Omar Sy, the star of the new French series “Lupin,” about being asked to pick a dream role. I became totally addicted by working on ‘Lupin.’”. Sy’s position as France’s favourite actor and Arsène Lupin’s status as a classic figure of French literature have created a perfect storm of multigenerational appeal Sy, who is also credited as an artistic producer, acknowledged that when he first proposed basing a project on Lupin, he was mostly familiar with the character’s reputation. “The archetype has changed.”. Lupin is about a man named Assane Diop (Omar Sy) whose life was turned upside down as a teenager when his father died after being accused of a crime he didn’t commit. “Because there’s lots about Lupin I love: the tricks, the cons.”. He said that it took a little while to zero in on a concept. Justin Bieber just revealed the title and release date for his next album! “He’s playful, he’s clever, he steals, he’s surrounded by women. The hero of many shorts stories and novels, Lupin was first seen as the French answer to a certain British detective; Leblanc even cheekily wrote unauthorized crossover stories starring one Herlock Sholmès. “Lupin is so French that you cannot grow up in France and not know who is Arsène Lupin,” star Omar Sy told Variety ahead of the series premiere, comparing the gentleman thief to … (The series was produced by Gaumont for Netflix.) “The character’s targets are the French establishment and the old school, and we’re playing these dramas out in these very classic Parisian settings.”. Omar Sy (Getty Images) Omar Sy stars as Assane Diop, a janitor inspired by the legend of Arsène Lupin. “Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro,”. Less than a week later, the show, a stylish caper set in the heart of Paris, has become the streamer’s second most popular title in the United States, the first time a French series debuted in the Top 10, according to Netflix. This success made Sy, who was born near Paris of immigrant parents from West Africa, the kind of star whom a powerhouse production company like Gaumont might ask about his dream roles. “Does Omar actually play Lupin? “But since I’m French, I said Lupin.”. The full title of the series is Lupin, dans l’ombre d’Arsène, but Netflix doesn’t translate the title when it appears on screen. Sy’s Assane is a master of disguise, posing as a rich art collector one minute and as a custodian at the Louvre another. “But when I was told that Netflix wanted to do it with Omar Sy, he was attached, the combination of those two things made it really interesting to me,” Kay said. Raffles when he was brought on. For fans of the original stories, Easter eggs abound. The Lupin Star Has Lived a Fascinating Life. In the international hit from Netflix, the actor plays a modern gentleman thief, inspired by the charming rapscallion Arsène Lupin. It’s not easy, and you don’t know whether you were a good dad or a bad one until your children are grown up.”. An entire generation can still sing the theme song from the series that ran in 1971-74. “I liked the ‘gentleman thief’ aspect a lot but I wanted to subvert it and give it a social angle,” Leterrier said. George Kay, creador de ‘Lupin’: “La serie está inspirada en los libros de Arsène Lupin y en Omar Sy cuando supe que estaba involucrado” Por Custodio Guerrero — 8 ene. For an actor, he’s the best.”. The full title of the makes sense when you know the storyline because Assane is pulling off his plot in the shadow of Arsène Lupin. Lupin star Omar Sy confessed he thought the opening scene of the series would be impossible to shoot. In the first case, he becomes invisible, a Black man among many others; in the second, he exploits the fact that he stands out in a sea of white faces, distracting his marks. Is it contemporary or classic?”, Ultimately, “George Kay came in with an idea we all loved,” he added. Like Leblanc’s rapscallion, the adult Assane steals and gets out of jams thanks to his silver tongue and his talent for shape-shifting. “It’s the first time I play this kind of father, who has a lot of baggage and questions,” said Sy, who himself has five children. The Lupin book helps Assane relate not only to his father but also to his surroundings, and Assane wants it to have the same impact on Raoul. Lupin is a French series that stars Omar Sy as Assane Diop. JJ Links Around The Web. The new... Justin Bieber Announces New Album 'Justice,' Out In March! 5 for the perfume's 100th birthday, to a visit to the French chateau Valençay that played an essential role in saving art from the Nazis in World War II and a chat with actor Omar Sy on playing the modern spin on the famous French fictional thief Arsène Lupin in the Netflix sensation, check out this week's culture news with Eve Jackson. Omar Sy stars as Assane Diop, a character inspired by the French story of thief Arsène Lupin and determined to do what it takes to find justice for his now-dead father. Assane’s most precious possession became a Lupin book bestowed upon him by his dad, a gift that would shape his entire life. Like Thomas Crown, Danny Ocean, Simon Templar and (to include a gentlewoman) Selina Kyle, Lupin is elegant and efficient. France alone has produced several TV adaptations and movies about the thief. still from Lupin trailer, Netflix, YouTube Who is Omar Sy’s wife? The first look teaser trailer for the upcoming Shadow and Bone series just premiered! Omar Sy in 'Lupin' (Netflix) The legendary (and fictional) French thief Arsène Lupin has inspired hundreds of tales, both about him and about the people choosing to pick up on his legacy. The show also sends a sly message by having the most dedicated fans of the Lupin books be of African and North African descent, or biracial. Created by the writer Maurice Leblanc, the gentleman thief Arsène Lupin is a beloved character of French literature and the inspiration behind Sy’s character in “Lupin.”. (The series is subtitled “In the Shadow of Arsène.”). He prefers disguise and persuasion to violence and is so dashing that his victims almost thank him for the honor of being robbed. Culture, like family, is a means of belonging. The new French series Lupin is a big hit on Netflix this week and some fans might be confused by the title card that appears during each episode. “Later on, I connected the dots between the books, the TV shows I saw as a kid, and some mangas. Publikumsliebling Omar Sy („Ziemlich beste Freunde“) gibt in „Lupin“ den versierten Trickbetrüger Assane Diop, der sich von Leblancs legendären Roman inspirieren lässt. But don’t expect any hyper-realistic latex masks à la “Mission: Impossible” — Assane is resolutely low-tech, befitting the series’s fleet footed, deliberately old-fashioned bent. Plus, he’s a character who plays characters. In 2011, a star turn in the French blockbuster film “The Intouchables” propelled Omar Sy to a César award for best actor and a budding Hollywood career, with roles in “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and “Jurassic World.”. 'Shadow & Bone' Debuts First Teaser Trailer & New Images! Whether cultural or familial, the idea of transmission runs throughout the show. For Sy, “it’s about putting a new face on what it means to be French today,” he said. Who Is Omar Sy? That Lupin became the subject of several anime adaptations, including Hayao Miyazaki’s feature debut, “Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro,” and the recent 3-D release “Lupin III: The First.”. A second installment has been filmed and is set to follow later this year. Sy, 42, plays not Lupin but a debonair Parisian named Assane Diop, the son of a Senegalese immigrant, who idolizes the fictional thief. For Sy, Leblanc’s old stories serve as a kind of bridge within the series. A lire sur AlloCiné : Avec "Lupin", disponible dès ce 8 janvier sur Netflix, Omar Sy s'empare du petit écran dans la peau d'un gentleman-cambrioleur moderne et avide de justice sociale. A new French original Netflix series – Lupin – hit the number one most popular spot on the platform globally and in many countries including the US in recent days. On a more intimate level, Assane inherits the Lupin obsession from his father. The full title of the makes sense when you know the storyline because Assane is pulling off his plot in the shadow of Arsène Lupin. Created by the French writer Maurice Leblanc in 1905, Arsène Lupin is an elite member of the gang of delightful rogues known as gentleman thieves. A few years after that conversation with Gaumont, a five-episode installment of Sy’s new French-language series, “Lupin,” debuted on Netflix. Except there is a plot twist: Arsène Lupin is not a character in the series that bears his name — at least not in the flesh. From a look back at the history of Chanel No. But by now many American readers are probably wondering “Wait … Lup-who?”. 3. George Kay (“Criminal”), the show’s British creator and showrunner, said in a video chat that he had been more familiar with other turn-of-the-20th-century pop culture creations like Sherlock Holmes, the Scarlet Pimpernel or A.J. “Lupin was a keen observer of society and we wanted Assane to be the same,” Sy said. The upcoming Freeform series Cruel Summer has just been given a premiere date! Florence Pugh to Star in Boyfriend Zach Braff's Film 'A Good Person', Mads Mikkelsen Opens Up About Taking Over Johnny Depp's Role in 'Fantastic Beasts', Lady Gaga May Have Been Targeted for Ransom in Dog Kidnapping, See the First Photos of Kristen Stewart on Set as Princess Diana. Omar Sy in a scene from “Lupin“. “I’m always interested in fatherhood. The show, starring French actor Omar Sy, is so far the most popular French series ever on Netflix and the first to enter the top 10 classification in America for viewing figures. “Having a French-African ethnic lead is very important,” he said. In ‘Lupin,’ Omar Sy Puts a New Twist on a Classic French Tale In the international hit from Netflix, the actor plays a modern gentleman thief, inspired by the charming rapscallion Arsène Lupin. His role in 'The Intouchables' earned him the prestigious César Award in 2012. Olivia Holt's 'Cruel Summer' Gets Premiere Date & First... Lady Gaga's Dog Walker to Make Full Recovery, Thanks the... Renee Montgomery & Group Buy WNBA's Atlanta Dream from... Sen. Ted Cruz Cracks Cancun Jokes at CPAC. He then passes it on to his own teenage son, Raoul (Etan Simon), whose mother is white, as a way to connect and smooth out a sometimes rocky relationship. Episode one, ‘Le Collier de la reine’, begins with … Omary Sy is married to Hélène Sy and the couple were wed back in 2007. Sy played Bishop in “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” one of the many high-profile roles he has landed since “The Intouchables” brought him international fame. Picture: Netflix. “Our first step was to figure out where we wanted to go,” Leterrier said in a video call. Lupin is also a popular character in Japan, where in the 1960s the manga artist Kazuhiko Kato, known by his pen name, Monkey Punch, invented a grandson named Lupin III.
Charrue Rotative Pour Micro Tracteur, Aimbot Fortnite Pc Gratuit 2020, Petit Pays Il Faut Pardonner, Remboursement Frais De Transport Employeur Obligatoire 2019, Lettre Reclamation Pv Stationnement, La Poste Login, Fiche D'activité Foyer De Vie,